Memorial of Jesus' death

by Listener 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Listener
    Listener

I was listening to a Youtube where a Pastor relates his experience of attending a JW memorial. He said something that was profound to me.

"How do you have a memorial for someone alive?"

They use this phrase all the time, even printing thousands and thousands of invitations to invite everyone to join them in doing this.

I googled that phrase to see what other Christian Church's use this phrase and was astounded to see that at least the first two pages of results are in relation to JW's only.

• TxNVSue2023
    TxNVSue2023

You have a memorial for someone alive because they did die & you are commemorating their life/passing. In the case of Jesus - he was only in earthly form ( in the flesh) so he could fulfill his destiny ( Randsom sacrifice). After his sacrificial death - he left the earth and returned to heaven in his rightful form. The memorial is a reminder of his sacrifice.

Also Jesus himself commanded it to be observed.

• Listener
    Listener

TxNVSue2023, could you provide a scripture where Jesus commanded that his death be observed?

Remembering the sacrifice that Jesus made by partaking of the emblems is a far different concept to passing the emblems from one person to another without partaking.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

👍👍👍

You got it in one Listener - I too am waiting expectantly for the scriptural proof that millions should attend, but NOT partake!

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

Jehovah Witnesses proclaim nothing since they do not eat or drink.

Anyone can die for something. The tricky part is being alive after dieing. Is that why normal Christians focus on Easter? Golly.

• Ding
    Ding

The first time I attended a Memorial I was totally confused.

Why insist that I attend a meal and then tell me I'm not qualified to eat or drink the bread and wine?

In fact, no one at the Hall partook, so in what sense was it a meal?

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"could you provide a scripture where Jesus commanded that his death be observed"

You know the scriptures.

Luke 22:19 for one.

As for partaking. He said "Keep doing this in remembrance of me". The only ones who remember him are the disciples that heard him. That is none of us today. We don't partake because we don't have a memory of him. We know him by reading stories from a book. So to remember him, we reread the stories, not eat bread and drink wine.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Memorial vs. Commemoration. Agreed the word choice is odd.

In today's parlance, a "celebration of life" might be more in keeping with traditional Christian theology.

• Duran
    Duran

2146. zikkaron

Definition: memorial, remembrance

[23 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night on which he was going to be betrayed took a loaf, 24 and after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body, which is in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” 25 He did the same with the cup also, after they had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he comes.]

[6 You must care for it until the 14th day of this month, and the whole congregation of the assembly of Israel must slaughter it at twilight. 7 They must take some of the blood and splash it on the two doorposts and the upper part of the doorway of the houses in which they eat it.8 “‘They must eat the meat on this night. They should roast it over the fire and eat it along with unleavened bread and bitter greens. 9 Do not eat any of it raw or boiled, cooked in water, but roast it over the fire, its head together with its shanks and its inner parts. 10 You must not save any of it until morning, but any of it left over until morning you should burn with fire. 11 And this is how you should eat it, with your belt fastened, sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and you should eat it in a hurry. It is Jehovah’s Passover. 12 For I will pass through the land of Egypt on this night and strike every firstborn in the land of Egypt, from man to beast; and I will execute judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am Jehovah. 13 The blood will serve as your sign on the houses where you are; and I will see the blood and pass over you, and the plague will not come on you to destroy you when I strike the land of Egypt. 14 “‘This day will serve as a memorial for you, and you must celebrate it as a festival to Jehovah throughout your generations. As a lasting statute, you should celebrate it]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit