What's the Worst Advice You Heard of an Elder Giving Someone?

by Sea Breeze 48 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RIVERGANG:

Even those of us who did not ‘buy’ it all and who DID prepare - still have to watch our pennies. Everything is terribly expensive..

Maybe some who retired early had to because their body was telling them something! .. If they worked longer they would get higher SS.. But, that was not to be.

I’m happy for you that you are not in a physically demanding occupation and that you might be able to retire next year. Something to look forward to!👍🏻

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

LHG

Thanks!

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Beth Sarim: WTF is going on in their brains?????

I think it's a sunk cost for many. My mother has been in since the late 60s/early 70s and lived through 1975, 1995, and everything else. She does not know about many of the issues, much like any other loyal JW, so the only possible reason to doubt is that the end just never comes. But she still repeats all of the old lines about how close it is, and how bad things are getting, and how the end cannot be far off, and so on. Her attitude is that, if the end hasn't come yet, it is closer than it was before. And that is good enough.

She's in her mid-80s and in poor health. She gave up all of her dreams at a relatively young age because she wanted Jehovah to solve all of her problems. Everything she is and everything she has is invested in this. Her only option is to grit her teeth and wait for the end, whether it is hers or the world's.

• Halcon
    Halcon
    BethSarim- 5 plus decades believing the nonsensical garbage from New York.

Is this your actual experience Sarim? How recently did you leave JW and what was the final determining factor?

I'm 45 and I mentally detached around 2012. It wasn't so much the doctrines, which I had realized by then were going to just keep changing. It came down to, aside from a belief in God, I had nothing in common with the folks. I didn't want to be or live like them.

While I do have some fond memories of being part of JW in the early 90s, that version of JW no longer exists. And truthfully, those memories weren't exclusive to JW, there was a lot happening then outside that definitely influenced me years later.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Halcon

Is this my actual experience?

All I can say or want to say is,,, that its pretty 'close'. Its as 'close' as you can possibly get.

Thank you.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TONUS OH:

It most definitely is ‘sunk cost fallacy’ that keeps many of the older Witnesses in. With other age groups it IS definitely about the social aspects of the religion (and acceptance from other people there).

I am convinced that in many cases it is pointless to try to reason with many Witnesses about what is wrong with the religion and its policies.. They are ‘all over the place’ with faulty reasoning and fallacies they cling to.

I just tried on another thread with somebody claiming to be recently reinstated.. They had revealed on another thread how affluent they were - but yet suggested to me that other JWs should do-without now and get benefits later (eternal life, I presume) - saying they should pursue a ‘lower lifestyle’. 🙄

I saw this back in the day with older Witnesses with cushy lives suggesting that OTHER people do-without. This was suggested to me!!!

Also, certain JWs apparently aren’t really keeping up with the ‘celestial chariot’. I’m referring to the change at the annual meeting about no longer needing to count time. These people either don’t know or don’t care about this.. It’s all hypocrisy and gives me a headache and I’m glad I never allowed the religion to influence my life decisions.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The "sunk cost" fallacy.

Its the sunk cost fallacy happening here. Without long time old schooler JWs even realizing it.

""Its been this way for almost our whole lives....."""'

They dont even realize it!!

Stupid or 'sunk cost fallacy'.

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

During a terrible divorce, one elder said to me to be out in service and keep busy with the meetings. Wow , so I hired an attorney and he kept me from prison.

• RandomUserName3500
    RandomUserName3500

joe134cd. Best decision of my life - divorced her.

VERY happily married to a never been a JW for 6 years so far

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit