Some observations on Animal Farm by George Orwell

by WinstonSmith 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

The beauty of the book is not what it was originaly about, but that it causes people to QUESTION and analize their own situation in life, be it a political activist, a mormon or a Jehovah's witness.

A great tool for getting people to think...hopefully!

oz

• 00DAD
    00DAD

WS, Nice analysis. It's interesting how a book like that, which--as has been observed--was about the tyranny in the Soviet Union, so clearly applies to the abuse of power in the WT/JW religion.

I read this book a couple of months ago at the suggestion of a friend that had never been a JW and found all the same parallels as you. When you read this allegory the lies, corruption and hypocrisy of the pigs is chilling. But just as chilling is the weak-minded complicity of the farm animals that go along with it.

When you apply this to the WT and ourselves as members/former-members it makes us take a good look at ourselves and make some decisions as to where we stand.

Good thread!

00DAD

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Hello everyone,

Your comments make for interesting reading! I really enjoyed reading the book. I read a LOT of books and it has been a long time since one created such a reaction in my mind.

For those still reading it, or contemplating it, please post your thoughts here once you are done. I would love to hear your thoughts on how a book written about an oppressive regime mirrors the WTS.

Read a book, expand your mind.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Excellent post Winston!! Can I post this elsewhere?

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

@cantleave: Hello! By all means, feel free to use the info in my post. If possible if you are posting it online, I hope you can share the link with us. It will be interesting to see the wider opinion of the application to the WTS.

Cheers :-)

WS

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Anyone else read this book lately? Re-reading the list of comparisons is chilling, especially when you think this was written with Communist Russia in mind!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Interestingly, there are JW students at the school where I teach. Animal Farm is on the "must read" list. Most read it by 10th or 11th grade. I wonder if any of the young JWs get the comparison.

Probably not, and of course it would be inappropriate for me to explicitly ask. But it IS interesting to consider.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

animal farm is a great book for someone realzing the tatt. i recommend reading the crucible by aurthur miller. that was the nail in the coffin for me.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I reread it months ago, prob. b/c of this thread. One would think that Orwell had the Witnesses in my mind when he wrote it. It probably will remain a classic for a long while b/c it applies to very human behavior. The book is chilling.

I recall being amazed when I read it for the first time in high school.

1984 is good, too.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

orwell had the communist revolution in mind when he wrote its a knock of what happens to societies when they go commie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit