by Lied2NoMore 72 Replies latest jw friends

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

just completed the order...............gonna use this one in a big way

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It seems the book was non-fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_P._Mannix

According to Martin M Winkler's book, Gladiator: Film and History , Mannix's 1958 non-fiction book Those about to Die (reprinted in 2001 as The Way of the Gladiator ) was the inspiration for David Franzoni 's screenplay for the 2000 movie Gladiator . [11]

Some comments though question the accuracy.

• krejames
    krejames

Fiction it may be but a review on Amazon refers to it as "thoroughly researched and historically accurate". Just saying

• Splash
    Splash

As jwfacts mentions, this book was reprinted in 2001 as "The Way of the Gladiator" which Amazon do a kindle version for £4.30.

I'd be interested to know how many christians Daniel Mannix says died during those times.

Would there be more than 144,000 do you think?

Splash

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

It is definitely FICTION I saw the references to non-fiction but checked and re-checked the book is INDEED FICTION!!

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

If you Wiki Daniel P Mannix you will read how deeply military he and his family was. How he was a sideshow circus performer a sword swallowed, NOTHING about him being a bible researcher, historian, professor, or ANY type of authority on biblical events.

Why does GB need commentary from this guy about bible history? Don't they know all? If I went out and read outside literature and used commentary to refute WT teachings it would mean DF for me

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Just a point. The quote you are using is a reader review and cannot be used as any thing more than that. The book may have been written as factual. Don't fall into the same trap of using dubious quotes.

If you check out Mannix as an historian however, he certainly should not be quoted with any weight or as an authority. He seeems to have had a very colourful career, just tyhe credentials for a WT quote.

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

plus the webseller i ordered the book from last night calls the book "historical fiction" im going to keep the study WT from yesterday neatly tucked into the book for future reference

• ItsMyLife
    ItsMyLife

Wikepedia claims that it's non-fiction:

Literary Influence

According to Martin M Winkler's book, Gladiator: Film and History, Mannix's 1958 non-fiction book Those about to Die(reprinted in 2001 as The Way of the Gladiator) was the inspiration for David Franzoni's screenplay for the 2000 movieGladiator. [11]

I'm still shocked that anyone at the WBTS thought it was ok to read, seeing how gory and violent it is reported to be.

Peace to all x

• ItsMyLife
    ItsMyLife

Sorry everyone who has already pointed out that it's supposed to be non-fiction. I should have read the whole thread before putting my oar in!

Peace to all x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit