Solar Eclipse - How Common is It?

by Sea Breeze 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Of the 213 moons in our solar system, only ours provides a total solar eclipse.

coincidence?

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Whether it's a coincidence or not, what difference does it make?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Of the 8 planets in our solar system, only Venus has retrograde rotation. coincidence? Clearly the universe was made just for Venus.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It’s an interesting question.

On the broader question of whether there is a purpose behind the universe check out the interesting work of philosopher Philip Goff. He describes himself as an atheist who has come to accept the overwhelming scientific evidence that there appears to be purpose or intentionality behind the physical makeup of our reality. He argues for a middle ground between religion and atheism, or between ‘Dawkins and the Pope’ as he puts. Whatever religious or philosophical conclusions one comes to in response to the apparent intentionality behind the universe, he argues that materialists have got their head in the sand with regard to the evidence of fine tuning of the universe and its implications.

https://youtu.be/UEXQhKuE6LU?si=yNMh7mnS8DXH4jYE

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Our moon is much larger in terms of moon mass/earth mass, than in the vast majority of planets with moons. This allows a total eclipse, unlike other planets with moons.

The theory is that the earth was struck by a large comet or asteroid which spun off the moon’s material. This formation of a moon is rare.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    Of the 8 planets in our solar system, only Venus has retrograde rotation.

@Jeffro: Wrong. Uranus has one too.

I'm curious as to what the typical atheist response is to the goldilocks universe (where everything is juuuust right) that we find ourself in?

For example, the current Astronomer Royal for the British Crown is Martin Rees. He has stated that if any of the 6 values listed below were different, our universe [and us] couldn't exist:

Rees’s six numbers are:

(1)The number of spatial dimensions we live in – 3

(2) The relative strength of the electrostatic to the gravitational force between two protons – This is a very large number approximately 10 to the 36th power.

(3) The fraction of mass converted to energy when hydrogen is fused to form helium – approximately 0.007.

(4) The average matter density of the Universe, rather than being expressed in kilogrammes per cubic metre, it is expressed in units where the critical density (10 to the 26th power of kilogrammes per cubic metre) is equal to one – approximately 0.32.

(5) The average dark energy density of the Universe, also expressed in units where the critical density is equal to one – 0.68.

(6) The final number is a measure of how tightly bound the large clusters and supercluster of galaxies are. On the scale used in Rees’s book it has the value 10 to the -5th power.

Are the fine tuning charactericts of the universe and the total eclipse of the sun, (and the monthly perfect total eclipse of the moon) that we see; are they examples of intentionality?

@SBF

materialists have got their head in the sand with regard to the evidence of fine tuning of the universe and its implications.

Agree. Materialism has not been a support for atheism for quite some time now.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Those are all examples of the argument that a god is necessary, which relies on gaps in our knowledge or understanding of the universe. It's a weak first step (it's not proof, after all), but it's one that most people find at least somewhat compelling. The less a person knows about physics or astronomy, the more likely they are to find it compelling. Coincidence?

As one of those laypersons who knows little about physics or astronomy, I take some interest in the argument. It doesn't lead to any of the gods that humans have invented (which, so far, appears to be all of them), but it does imply that perhaps there is a being --or a whole other universe of beings-- who create and experiment with universes as some kind of research. Or perhaps for entertainment, depending on how like us they are. This doesn't bode well for any hope of an eternal future, so I doubt the idea will catch on.

As for total solar eclipses being unique to Earth and its moon, I'd say it sure does seem like a coincidence. It's a better argument than "I saw Jesus on a piece of burnt toast," but I just don't see the relevance.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

If the universe were different, then the universe would not be the same. So God must have done it. That's about the sum of the argument.

It is the same flawed thinking that leads many to believe in fate or predestination. I was born as a result of infinite contingencies, I must be an act of God. Then God gave me skin cancer..... round and round Christian theologians spin explanations and excuses for how God can be both responsible but not responsible for the universe. That sun that gives energy to our world is at the same time deadly radiation.

At least the ancient sun worshipers understood the duplicitous nature of their God. The God who gave and took life.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    If the universe were different, then the universe would not be the same.

That's deep.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett
    Of the 213 moons in our solar system, only ours provides a total solar eclipse.
    coincidence?

The moon has been slowly moving away from the earth since its formation. In the distant future it will be too far away to completely block out the sun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit