Glad to see someone in the WT Art Dept has a sense of humour! "Church Lady" spotted singing!

by WingCommander 15 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

You can't make this shit up! LOL!!!!

Someone over on Reddit posted this illustration from some WT publication or website or whatever. The caption they had was, "Who sings like this?" Like in a weird group, but almost choir looking? Here it is:

Anyhow, that's not what caught my attention. Nah. As a long-time viewer of the NBC comedy skit show "Saturday Night Live", I was immediately drawn to one woman in particular. Church Lady!!! This was a notorious skit played by Dana Carvey in the 80's-90's.

I'm glad to see that (whomever is left) in the WT Art Dept apparently has a sense of humour. Oh the irony, of seeing "Church Lady" singing "Kingdom Melodies."

Now who could have put such humourous, impure thoughts into an artist at WT HQ? Whom did that? Could it have been:

SATAN?

When Dana Carvey Debuted the Church Lady on 'Saturday Night Live'

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Special.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

All the time in illustrations you find copies of famous paintings. I'm sure one day we will find an article on gambling with dogs playing poker copied. Strong genetics in that whole crowd. The one boy is standing on top of his younger brother.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

@road to nowhere:

It's true that things are "borrowed" from time to time in literature, one would not expect something like this in such divinely inspired works as what WatchTower puts out? Why, that's unclean! Then again, they've done it before. The one pic of a beautiful woman (in red) in the water.....I think was in the Live Forever book and also a WT article, was actually lifted from some worldly publication. Total plagiarism. Still can't believe WT wasn't sued over that one, even if it was the 80's.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

They did get into trouble for using a Jack Daniels (or was it Jim Beam?) ad on a magazine cover in the 80s. It had a different cover in the boxed set.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Looks more like that awful American โ€œnewsโ€ woman Rachel Maddow to me.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I might be inclined to agree.....if this particular church lady wasn't Asian!๐Ÿ˜‚

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

First of all, this is really funny!

BUT, let's be honest, it could be a coincidence based on a solid reason: SNL's church lady is a caricature based on the fact that many women in churches resemble her. No style, single, short hair, bad-looking glasses. In fact, when I saw the picture before catching the SNL reference, I thought she looked the most natural and "belonging" there, contrary to the ones with their arms straight down. But then again, I guess that's what happens when you take away the songbooks? Still, I'd imagine I'd be tapping the beat with my hands, strumming with my fingers, doing something? Anyways.

Still very funny because, in the end, JWs try to be so different from other religions and end up being so similar to them that they fall within the stereotype of the church lady!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

A shout out to Saturday Night live!!!

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Looks to me to be in the style of North Korean propaganda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit